Monday, January 31, 2011

Change the World: One Lesson at a Time

It was said to us that we (student teachers) would not be able to change the world of education in our first year. Most likely, we will be hanging on to the established text books and curriculum of our schools for at least the first one, two, or even three years.

Being simply a two day a week intern at the present, I can only guess what I am in for come March when I have to teach five days a week all day. I don’t know that I even want to think about my first years of teaching when I can’t fall back on the Master teacher if everything goes wrong. Secretly I wonder if someone is going to find out I am not cut out for teaching and expose me as an imposter. Maybe I will be hanging on a little too tight to those text books.

All of that aside, I believe we can change our world one lesson at a time. I it would be a waste not to use the curriculum and text books our schools purchase. There is a wealth of resources in these materials which our kids need. They don’t just need it to pass stupid standardized tests; they need this information to navigate our academic and professional world. I think the important thing to remember is that we don’t have to reinvent wheels for every lesson. We just need to make every lesson we can come alive to our kids. Not every kid will be interested in every lesson. But if we try to make every lesson relevant to our students, eventually we will peak the interest of every student. Hopefully with practice we will grab them at least once every day. Well, how about once a week.

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed, in my 13th year of teaching, that I never have a feeling of a truly fabulous day. I finally figured out it's because even when some lessons are amazing, I can't stop thinking about other parts of the day that weren't amazing. I'm trying to work on that. I'm going to try to remember to change the world one lesson at a time. Somehow that seems more doable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. I can't believe you actually read my blog. I am a long way from 13 years. Right now I have to focus on any small victory or I may not make it to my first year of teaching.

    ReplyDelete