Analysis:
Objective: to give my buddy immediate and easy success “writing” a story.
Standards: 3.1. Develops ideas and organizes writing.
Materials: iTouch with microphone, wireless connection, Free app – Story Robe, Free app – Dragon Dictation, lots of pictures loaded on the iTouch, computer with internet connection, paper, and pencil.
Instructional Strategies:
We would begin by looking through pictures on the iTouch. I would ask my buddy what pictures he likes. After he picked out a few, I would ask him to make a story out of the pictures.
We would open Story Robe. This program allows the user to make a story in three easy steps. We choose photos, edit the pages, then record narrative.
After the story was done we could publish it and view it on another computer. From the computer we could play the story and record the narrative using dragon dictation. I would make sure to check the spelling which dragon dictation made from the story.
If the dictation did not work, I would ask him to retell the story. This would be a good step to add detail. Once we had a usable text via Dragon, he would then copy the text onto a printed version of the story or onto black note paper.
What would you do if your pet greeted you one morning by talking? In this prompt writing, my buddy did a fanciful telling of what his conversation could have been like with his pet bird. Although my analysis focuses on the published version, there are areas which could use improvement if he were willing to remake the piece again.
Spelling and Six Traits Assessment
In our first meeting my buddy told me that he struggles with spelling. This is all too obvious from his drafts and our spelling assessment. He struggles with vowel patterns. In his draft he wrote “bake” (back) and “thot” (thought). In the spelling assessment he also struggled with double letters and endings. For example, he wrote “shoping” (shopping) and “pleser” (pleasure). He struggled with several of the endings such as in fortunate, confident, and opposition. Since his story was “published,” the final piece followed conventions and was typed.
The majority of the sentences in this story start with I, he, or then. Exceptions include the prompt sentences and the “finally” in the concluding paragraph. Changing the way the sentences start would help the story flow better. Additionally, his writing lacks transitions.
A few passages stand out in this story, but most of the words are bland. In one place he says he is “terrified” because his bird is talking to him. I have a feeling he had help with this word, because I did not see it on the original draft. He does have one interesting and original phrase which shows his voice in the writing. “I thought that I was a goner,” he says, meaning he thought he was going crazy or possibly dreaming. Although other elements show his voice, these same elements lead to a story with disjointed silly ideas which are hard to follow. More details and transitions would help to solidify the meaning and flow of the story.
This leads us to his ideas and organization. He has many ideas which work well with the theme of “when animals could talk.” His first two paragraphs work well together. He says that his bird wakes him up by talking. He thinks he is going crazy and falls back to sleep. The bird wakes him up again and now he is terrified. However, the last two paragraphs contain too many ideas which are not organized well. If he were willing to work on this story again, I would focus on this section. We would look at all of his ideas in the last two paragraphs and see which ideas are most important. Then we would figure out how to organize them so they flow. With organization I would introduce transition words and phrases.
Ownership of writing:
His writing is sloppy (not uncommon for his age). He has good unique ideas; however, his writing lacks depth. From examining his notes on Tuesday I saw very little writing for that day’s work. In looking at his drafts, they too show that he has little ambition to write. There is no real ownership of writing. Much of this stems from his struggle with spelling (a struggle I can also identify with). He may also struggle with being able to organize his thoughts. He can read fast and knows how to decode words up to the sixth grade reading level; yet, he seems to lack global understanding and ability to recall details. He needs a way to succeed and have fun at writing without being held back by his weaknesses.
Lesson Plan:
Objective: to give my buddy immediate and easy success “writing” a story.
Standards: 3.1. Develops ideas and organizes writing.
Materials: iTouch with microphone, wireless connection, Free app – Story Robe, Free app – Dragon Dictation, lots of pictures loaded on the iTouch, computer with internet connection, paper, and pencil.
Instructional Strategies:
We would begin by looking through pictures on the iTouch. I would ask my buddy what pictures he likes. After he picked out a few, I would ask him to make a story out of the pictures.
We would open Story Robe. This program allows the user to make a story in three easy steps. We choose photos, edit the pages, then record narrative.
After the story was done we could publish it and view it on another computer. From the computer we could play the story and record the narrative using dragon dictation. I would make sure to check the spelling which dragon dictation made from the story.
If the dictation did not work, I would ask him to retell the story. This would be a good step to add detail. Once we had a usable text via Dragon, he would then copy the text onto a printed version of the story or onto black note paper.


Achieving success as a writer and seeking joy in writing can be a great motivator. You're on the right track by giving him step-by-step pieces to fill in his puzzle. I wonder if this student could benefit by more small group discussion or partner sharing of his story before writing? As Lotan suggests, the quality of discussion can improve writing performance.(Lotan, 2003).
ReplyDeleteSometimes it helps to talk about our ideas before we get them down on paper. This , of course, would follow the optimum learning model and would promote a "congenial atmosphere of interaction and exchange." (Routman, 2003, p.47)
A question I have, is how can you encourage sharing of this students writing with others? Could you share a writing of your own ( story of your life) that demonstrates a love of words (as word choice is an area of improvement)? Can you ask your students to read their writing out loud to each other in small groups, delivering with intonation and expressing meaning with enthusiasm? As children interact w/each other their interest grows. They need to belong and engage and participate.
Using the itouch app is a strong motivator. How will your student share his accomplishment with classmates?
I think your lesson is creative, and that your buddy will really enjoy making his own story using this technology. I have a few suggestions to make your analysis even stronger.
ReplyDeleteYou talked about how your buddy uses "bland" works and that his writing could benefit from the use of more transition words. You could include some examples of the words he uses and transition words that you suggest to make your point stronger.
Also, one question I had while reading your analysis was, does your buddy only write in class, using teacher provided prompts? Does he ever do any free writing on his own time at home or in a journal? This could help boost his writing confidence.
You said "he seems to lack global understanding and ability to recall detail". I think this is an interesting idea and that you could expand it in your analysis.
Make sure you include two quotes from the class readings.
I like your lesson plan. It's creative and I think your student will enjoy using the technology to write a story. I have a few suggestions that might make your analysis even stronger.
ReplyDeleteYour buddies writing uses some "bland" words and his writing could benefit form the use of transition words. You could include examples of his word choice and of what you suggest, making your point stronger.
As I was reading your analysis I was wondering if your student does any writing out of class or if he only writes when prompted by a teacher? Writing on his own in a journal without an audience judging his spelling could boost his writing confidence.
You mentioned "he seems to lack global understanding and ability to recall detail". I think this is an interesting idea and one that you could expand on in your analysis.
Also you want to make sure you include two quotes from the class readings.
Sam,
ReplyDeleteI like your lesson idea of using iTouch Apps to create a story. Sometimes it’s harder for students to write their thoughts down on paper, rather than just saying their thoughts and ideas out orally. I think using Story Robe App and Dragon Dictation App is fun and creative to give him that little nudge to get him started on his writing. Another advantage of using Dragon Dictation is that he’ll notice his misspellings in his writing, although you have to be aware that Dragon Dictation does not always record accurately. I think your lesson will help him improve on his voice, spelling and ownership.
One of my student in my main placement struggles with writing, having no ownership in his writing because he thought he had nothing to write about. This was when I observed him in our September experience, and now I see a huge improvement in him as he gained confidence in his writing. I learned that my M.T. realized what he was struggling with and took the time to brainstorm ideas with him. I think it will help your buddy to take the time and brainstorm ideas of what he can write about. Maybe writing about a subject he’s good at will help him jumpstart his motivation.
Some more ideas:
ReplyDeleteOne suggestion I would make is to help him work on his transitions throughout his paragraphs. I think it would be great if you can explain and show examples of how to use transition words to make your sentences flow smoothly. Do you think using Story Robe App to tell a story orally would help the transition flow? And also helping him learn new vocabulary words and spelling would be very helpful in build his confidence in writing.
Nice job with your analysis!
The comments from all of you were fantastic. Here are several ideas which I thought were the most important from what each of you said: partner reading or sharing of his work, model writing or reading from me the teacher, brainstorming what he likes, and finding out if my buddy writes outside of school.
ReplyDeleteAs I stated before, my buddy lacks motivation and ownership of writing. Even in the finished work, five of the six traits could be improved dramatically. However, I would not want to focus on all of the things he did wrong such as spelling and word choice. What I think my buddy needs are avenues to become a writer. Routman (2003 and 2005) in both of her books emphasizes teaching whole – part – whole. She talks about having students visualize themselves as writers and visualize their audience (2005, p. 14, 15). I wonder if my buddy has a hard time seeing the big picture and is stuck in isolated parts. It may be that although he gets instruction in the big picture he just fixates on random details. In all of our meetings he is distracted. Each meeting seems to get worse. Although he reads well and makes connections (he remembered the Amelia Earhart character from Night at the Museum II), he cannot keep focused long enough to give me a coherent retelling. Occasionally he can give me a main point, but often he just recalls the point that connects to his experience with TV or movies. So although he needs to see himself as a writer, it is hard to figure out what will motivate him to become a writer.
Obviously a key to our work will be modeling as described by Routman’s Optimal Learning model. I think it should be an “interactive” process as described by Cooper (2009, p. 159). In the lesson I planned, I will need to model how to use the iTouch app to make a story and I will need to incorporate some of the ideas from the comments. I would revise the beginning of my lesson to the following:
We would start with talking about how I write (share a journal) and then how he writes (at home). Then I would brainstorm a story I would like to do on the iTouch. I would walk him through making a quick story and then ask him to brainstorm with me what he could “write” a story. From there we would proceed with the lesson.