Every day in our first grade class the students write. Usually they complete a hand writing page which helps them learn how to write their letters and then they get loose paper which has three lines for writing and a large top section for drawing. Many of the students spend their time drawing and do not even try to write a story or describe their picture. In every other subject or activity, I saw the students presenting their work. After reading two or three students would come up to the share a word they had to sound out. In math, students would hold up their white board to show off their equation. However, as we have talked about writing and discussed Routman’s book, I began to wonder if the children ever share their writing. If they don’t get to share their writing, then how important is it? I brought these questions with me to observation to see if I was mistaken. Turns out the students started a new writing project for the bulletin board. Wednesday last week we went to a pumpkin patch in the morning. In the afternoon the teacher drew a picture on the easel and then summarized all the things we did. She told the kids to pick one or two things to draw and write about. At the end of writing she asked two kids to share. On Thursday she demonstrated what she wanted them to write today. She wanted them to write about a “small moment.” She drew a picture and wrote four details about the duck race which we all saw. Then she challenged the kids, “Yesterday you chose something to write about. Today you will write more details about it.” I was so impressed by the activity and the writing assignment that I wrote my own small moment. Some of the kids wrote some great descriptions. Others were still focused on their drawing. It will be interesting to see how their writing progresses.
Routman, R. (2005). Writing essentials. Portsmouth, NH: Heineman
I love the idea of writing about “small moments,” and it is neat to hear that you have been able to observe this technique in writing, in a classroom as young as first grade. I am currently in a 6th grade classroom and I got the chance to observe this group of students learning about writing in small moments as well; they were described as “watermelon seeds” or “zoom in’s” but ultimately they are the same thing. Encouraging students to write at a young age is so important, but I fear that it might be challenging with those students who lack confidence in their abilities. On the flip side, it appears that your teacher really understands these needs as well as challenges; including drawings into story development as well as offering the students multiple options of small moments to write about seems like a great way to engage all types of learners. Do you feel that this is something that you will hold on to, to use in your classroom?
ReplyDeleteI intend to use the ideas I have learned in my Dyad and in our literacy class. I hope my students can write more than small moments. I hope they can see themselves as writers, readers, mathematicians, and more!
ReplyDeleteThat is a great point you made about students not sharing their writing and if that means it’s not important. That reminds me of two things. First, when I was being observed the field instructor told me if I feel like something is important enough to say out loud that means every student should be listening. If I don’t try and get everyone’s attention maybe I should rethink if it was important enough to say in the first place. Second, this makes me think of the implicit curriculum. If the students are not getting to talk about it and share their work with others like they do in other subjects what message does this send to them. From what you have mentioned about their drawings and lack or work it sounds like they don’t really see the importance. However, there was a turnaround for them when they got to share. I really like that you got to observe this in the classroom. It is great to keep in mind what messages you are giving to your students and trying to help them recognize that all their work is important.
ReplyDelete